Hayden is doing great and enjoying his mission. He did get transferred this week but before he left Las Victorias he had more baptisms and ended on a great note. He said that he had a hard time leaving the people and would miss many of them. He has grown to feel at home in Las Victorias— but he was more than relieved to leave that area in the Cap.
Also as many of you may have heard Hayden is going through the "Dear John" phase of his mission (Which of course has thrown him for a little bit of a loop!) so he took his email time to write Lexi this week—which is understandable.He is doing alright with the situation though— still upbeat about the mission. He enjoys the mission so much and has mentioned to me the joys of saving souls in Guatemala. He is still focused on the work and still VERY determined. For instance he was not reimbursed from the office when he had his money stolen from his mission account (half a months worth). I have tried to get him to take some money out from his personal account and use it. We even put an extra one hundred dollars in for this reason. He has declined because he should make it on what they give him. He has a bit of his Grandma Murdock's/ Grandma Stella's stubborn streak. How happy I am for this determination because this same stubborn obedient streak will help him through his hard times. He is a great example to me. I know when Hayden went into the mission field he knew what he was leaving behind and he knew it was the right thing to do and he was willing to sacrifice anything to do it. It is hard to sacrifice the things we love and that make us happy right now for what we know God wants us to do and for the future he has in mind for us. Keep him in your prayers— I think he can use them. I think in a few weeks he will be better than new.
On a another note: Hayden got transferred to a new area and he is very excited about it. This is the one small paragraph we received from him this week:
Hey! MOM
Sorry, I don't really have time, I wrote a real honker to Lexi....... But quick overview, she´s not waiting...... but whatever. But I got a change to El Fiscal 1 in zona Atlantico! It is so awesome! I will send pictures next week for sure! It is so beautiful! It is like I am out of the capital but we still have all the perks of being in the cap. We have Walmart! Ha ha ha! Alright, love you all! Keep me informed! And I'm printing your letter out mom, I still haven't read all of it.
love,
Elder Welch
El Fiscal is considered part of the Cap. but is not at all like what Hayden has experienced before. It is very different in culture and terrain. It is less populated and it is more like being in the jungle....and it also has the perks of stores, good food, hot water, washing machines and such. He also is close enough to the Cap. that they can go in on p-days to enjoy the "good" things about the Capital. He can also attend the temple. It is a very good situation for him. A lot of the Elders from Idaho think that it feels like home to them, So I think that is what Hayden likes about it as well. He is in the Palencia district and Atlantico zone.
It is the rainy season in Guatemala and it has been raining like crazy. Hayden has asked for new socks because he can not keep his feet dry and some water proofing spray. Some of the other Elders in Hayden's area keep mentioning how terrible the rain is right now —unless it is not raining and then they complain that they wish it would rain because of the heat. They had a storm the other day where several Elders mentioned that it was raining sidways and there was nothing you could do to get away from it. Wet, Wet, WET in Guatemala. The rainy season goes until October or early November from what I understand. Hayden of course never mentions or complains of anything.
I guess on Monday before Hayden emailed he went with his new district on a hike. They hiked in an area that has been off limits to missionaries for 2 years but was recently approved to hike again. They were the first missionaries in 2 years to get to go. I guess it is dangerous with steep drop offs and high cliffs. It has quite the view from the top. I imagine that Hayden is going to send us photos from the hike next week. A couple of the missionaries in his group posted some photos of the hike and one of the photos had Hayden in it. This is from Elder Asdel's blog (the one in the hat). I loved seeing this photo and with only a little information from Hayden this week it was just a little tender mercy when I ran onto it by chance........even though as a mom I can see a little stress and sadness in his eyes.......you can see the joy of the mission all over his face and in his countenance. I am pleased to see that even with his experiences of the last two weeks—as usual Hayden is conducting himself as a gentleman.
Carol Anne

Click the link below to see a large version of the photograph.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjM1qdQmBS1AzAio0l7NGXPy7OgILGaOZwjsMbVo9aLgUy5fP6yANSpSQHfVx6QQ5VqfHNt5SJzlm25vVr0zyAAMX7iCWAxOC7OWGBvVOnmTJJnNBHezMweQoWnr2tWTlGsLh8xKnrK-rL3/s1600/IMG_1264.jpg
No comments:
Post a Comment