CALLED TO SERVE

CALLED TO SERVE

Friday, November 16, 2012

Letter to Grandma and Grandpa Murdock—Written on 10/13/2012

Dear Grandma and Grandpa,

First of all I am so sorry for not having written until now. I have wanted to for a long time, but I have been running so crazy that I truly haven't had time until right now that my companion has to write up his goals and spiritual experiences and stuff for his final interview with the mission president. We are just sitting here in an internet cafe about three blocks form out house. He's typing his things up and I have a little minute to write some letters. Thanks so much for always writing. Your letters really make my week. I love hearing about how things are doing back at your house and what's going on with the family. It is great. so I thought I'd just let you know a little about what's been going on with me here in Guatemala although I'm sure that you've already heard plenty from my mom and her blog thing she has been doing. I am in a ward that is called Llano Largo. It is really an interesting ward how they have the boundries set up and things. It is on the main highway form the capital to the northern parts of the county, The ward covers the whole highway form kilometer 10 to about the kilometer 30 (a litle farther) and all of the colonies, residential areas and basically anywhere anyone lives off the highway within that limit. When I first got here the ward was split up in three areas, us an two companionships of Sister missionaries, but not too long ago they took out one of the pairs of Sisters and re-did the areas. Now there are only two. The sisters have from Kilomenter 10 to Koilometer 13.5 and we have from Kilomenter 13.5 to past Kilomenter 30! our area is pretty enormous, but I love it! The ward is one of the most developed and best working wards I have been in. And we have so many members that love to help the missionaries and actually all of the leadership positions are filled. It is a really nice ward.

Lately we have been working in an area called A. It is at tlike kilometer twenty-something. We heard that there were a lot of members that live out there that have gone inactive so we decided to go check it out. There is only one family that is still active out there. The wife is the second Councilor in the Rielief Society and I guess one morning she started praying and asked that the missionaries would go out and visit them and help them and help all the members out there, and that was the day we decided to go out there! We showed up at her door and she was so happy. She showed us where all the members live and all of them were super happy too. They all said they had gone years without seeing Elders out there. The active sister, Sister R, also told as about a family that she had been preparing to receive the missionaries for years and told us that she was going to talk to them and set an appointment to visit them and they accepted, so we went and taught them and they loved it! We visited them twice and invited them to General Conference. They said they would be there, but we weren't to sure because the Stake Center is twice the distance form their house even than the Ward Chapel and the Chapel is super far. It's on KM> 12.5. But, sure enough, they showed up and they loved it! Also this week, without us even knowing about it, some sisters from the Relief Society went and visited the wife of the family, G and also Sister R. have organized a family night with them this Monday and everything. They basically seem like members already. Today G and Sister R are going to Relief Societ activity and then this afternoon we have an appointment with the whole family and we are going to try and set a date for them to be baptized. I sure hope it all works out!

But anyway, I really love that new area we found. It is like a little farm-town kind of and it reminds me of being in Peten, just not as hot. The other night we were walking to one of our lessons and we were just walking down the little dirt road under the moonlight and I looked up at the big grassy hill we were walking past and it was filled with fireflies! It was really neat. I hadn't seen that for almost a year now. I love it!

Well anyways, I'm sure I've probably bored you to death by now. Sorry, I know it wasn't the most interesting letter. But Guatemala is incredible it is so beautiful and the people are amazing. I would love to bring you all back someday so you could get to know it all and see all I've been able to see., I better get going though. I love you all so much. Thank you for everything. And in three short months I'll be seeing ya. Take care!

Love,

Elder Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment